Planning is a new module that initially supports the GoGreen cockpits with financial elements for environmental targets. It prepopulates this plan using the latest Live Forecast and estimates based on historic financial (P&L) data.
This article covers how to create a pre-populated new plan (Budget or Forecast) by answering a series of questions. For details of how to review and edit a plan see the Knowledge base article.
Controller, Admin user
Access to PMI Planning and GoGreen Role
Set up steps
From the main menu, under ‘Administration’ select ‘Planning setup’ to enter this screen.
Here you should complete each of the numbered questions and then the ‘next’ button will be enabled. You can also move between the different tabs by selecting the header.
Step 1. What? Basic setup
This sets up the basics of naming and period and is needed before you can save your progress.
- What is this plan called?
- Select whether you are creating a Forecast or budget (or target depending on your settings). This type will be displayed later in the name of this version.
- Provide free text for the name as required. This is the name used for this version on various menus so make sure it is clear and easily recognisable. For example by including year and month if you prepare monthly forecasts.
- What period will it cover?
- Choose the start and end month to include in this plan. Maximum allowed is 18 months and we advise 12 months as minimum. When creating a forecast, we suggest setting the start month at start of the year. Past months will automatically display actual historic data and be read-only.
- If the period selected includes last month you will get an extra question as in the example above. Tick the box only if you are happy that all of PMI including P&L is updated for the period in question. It is assumed that actual historic data will always be complete for earlier periods.
- What data should be a comparative source for comparative data and automation?
- This step is important because it controls the source used to prepopulate any data not available from Live forecast. For example, we will prepopulate prices for energy, estimated overhead costs, even the split between different beverage accounts using information from the data sources chosen here. These figures can be overwritten in the main plan view but this starting point is likely to influence the final plan submitted.
- With that in mind use the timeline to set a data source chronologically for your plan. In this example we have selected an existing forecast and the timeline is now shaded dark blue for all the months available from that source.
- You can reduce the months taken from a particular source by moving the mouse onto the timeline. Click when the blue split indicator is on the correct place and you will be able to select a new plan from that point.
- In this example the initial version selected ends on Dec. 2021, and there is a new selector showing on Jan. 2022. Note there is also a ‘Reset’ option if you need to start again.
- There is also a background rule preventing selection of actual data from the current month or the last complete month.
- Only when the whole period to be created has a valid source in the timeline is it possible to proceed to the next page.
Step 2. How? Numbers
This sets up any other general parameters for the whole plan and will expand as functionality increases.
Estimates for unit prices and general overheads will be based on a prior period (the comparative sources chosen in step 1, question 3). The % here will adjust the source amounts up for inflation or down (use minus sign) for cost savings.
The level included in the prepopulated plan will be clear to users and they will be able to overwrite the individual values if needed.
Step 3. Go live? initiate
This displays on the left a summary of your selections, so you can check the name and period are correct. On the right is a basic status panel for this version.
The ‘Save’ option on this page is the trigger that creates a new automated plan version with the details you have specified and cannot be reversed. Once the creation process is complete you will be redirected to the new plan you have created. It will also be available to all other users with the correct access rights.
Tutorial video can be found below
PMI NextGen Planning How to set up a plan